This gluten-free and vegan salad is delicious, very filling, and keeps well. Make extra and enjoy for a couple of days, brown-bag it for lunch at work, or bring it to a potluck or picnic!
The combination of quinoa, zucchini and tomatoes packs a super nutritious and refreshing punch that’s perfect for summer.
The easy to digest nutty-flavored quinoa has an almost complete profile of aminoacids, which means you get lots of protein from a healthy plant source free of saturated fats. This makes it the perfect salad for those trying to build muscle on a diet limited in animal products. While not exactly a grain, quinoa also packs a nice amount minerals such as phosphorous, magnesium and iron.
The zucchini, tomatoes, raisins and walnuts complete the nutritional picture bringing in lots of vitamins (folate, vitamins A, C, K) and minerals (magnesium, manganese, potassium), as well as a range of textures and flavors to delight your palate.
Let’s get started!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
1 cup dry quinoa
1/4 cup vegetable broth
1/2 zucchini, cut length-wise and diced into 1-inch squares
1/2 cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 handful walnut pieces
1 handful raisins
1/2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
sea salt to taste
1) Rinse quinoa thoroughly in cold water
2) Put 1 3/4 cups of water, vegetable broth, and quinoa in a pot and bring to a boil
3) Once it starts boiling, cover with lid and leave to simmer for 15 minutes or until quinoa is fluffled and all the water is absorbed
While the quinoa is cooking,…
4) Dice the zucchini, mince the garlic and slice the shallots, and cut the cherry/grape tomatoes in halves
5) In a pan, heat 1/2 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil, and add the shallot and minced garlic. Sautee for 2 minutes.
6) Add diced zucchini and continue to sautee until onions are browned and zucchini is cooked
Once the quinoa is done…
7) Let the food cool for a couple of minutes and then mix with all the rest of the ingredients (including the remaining 1/2 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil) in a pretty bowl.
8 ) Salt to taste
9) Enjoy at room temp!